A really simple and quick Canapé – they are light and refreshing, especially good on a hot summer day. Set out on a large tray on a buffet table and let your guests help themselves.
1 English cucumber
8 slices white bread
5 oz cream cheese
- Using the 8 slices of white bread, cut out 4 rounds on each slice – use a canapé cutter which has a serrated edge on bottom, or I use a shot glass that has a very thin lip – objective is to get 4 rounds per slice without mashing the bread.
- Peel the cucumber, leaving a little green between peels. I use an English cucumber as it is the right diameter to fit nicely on the rounds. Slice the cucumber into 32 slices.
- Using a food processor add a couple of tablespoons of milk to the cream cheese, a dash of garlic powder, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce. Mix until blended and smooth.
- Take a bread round and spread the cream cheese on it and top with a cucumber slice. Fill a pastry bag (or plastic bag) with cream cheese and using a large star tip, pipe onto cucumber rounds.
- Decorate as follows: plain with paprika; tiny square of pimento; 2 bay shrimp with sprig of dill; sprig of chives; red caviar; sprig of Italian parsley or watercress, slices of black or green olives. I prefer them plain or with the bay shrimp and dill.
Yield: 32 cucumber rounds