Mushrooms, mushrooms, mushrooms. I add them to sauces, soups, chinese food, atop pizzas, sliced raw in salads, chicken casseroles, beef bourguignon, and on and on and on. They are minced, sliced, cubed, chopped, braised, stewed, fried, sautéed, used in place of beef (the Portobello is perfect for this) and they are even mashed if you are making Mushroom Pate. They are one of the most versatile vegetables, though technically they are really a fungus. And today I stuffed them with cream cheese, vermouth, bread crumbs and herbs in the traditional manner.
~~ Add parsley and vermouth to onions, mushroom stems, and garlic and saute.
~~ Add Panko, and bread cubes (crush the cubes as you add to pan)
The gang is now ready for the oven. Be generous with olive oil on pan before you place the mushrooms, and then do a round on top before popping in the oven.
Ingredients:28 – 30 white or mini bella mushrooms (bite size, not the mammoth ones) 8 oz cream cheese, softened 2 – 3 Tbl milk Garlic salt Worcestershire sauce 1/2 yellow onion, finely chopped 3 cloves garlic
1/2 cup Panko 1/2 cup bread cubes Kosher Salt – pinch 2 Tbl fresh parsley, chopped 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning – dried 3 Tbl Parmesan Cheese, grated Butter 1/4 cup vermouth ~~ Piping hot and fresh out of the oven – Yum!
- Place mushrooms in colander and spray with water very lightly. Sometimes I even peel the skin off, just depends on how clean the mushrooms are to begin with. I don’t do the “wipe with damp cloth” method as mushrooms are grown underground – think about it.
- Remove stems, and chop them along with the onion, and garlic – add butter to frying pan and sauté. Add vermouth, parsley, Italian seasoning, and salt.
- Using food processor, add softened cream cheese, milk, garlic salt, and Worcestershire sauce – pulse till creamy smooth. This needs to remain stiff and not runny, so watch as you add the milk.
- Take fry pan off stove and add the cream cheese – blend with wooden spoon.
- Pour olive oil on the baking sheet before adding all the mushrooms bottom side down.
- Using a teaspoon fill the cavity of each mushroom with stuffing and round off the top. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Place on bottom rack of oven and bake for 20-25 minutes at 375 degree oven.
- When brown and bubbly they are done. Transfer to plate and serve immediately.
Yield: 30 bite-size morsels