This chicken dish is great to serve company or just for the family on a beautiful Sunday evening in September, like today. You can serve dinner in under an hour with only 20 minutes of prep and about 35 minutes to finish cooking in the oven. I happened to only have two pieces of chicken, so this particular recipe is Dinner For Two – just double or triple the recipe based on number of people you are serving. The chicken cooks up moist and juicy – a simple and comforting dinner that is delish!
2 chicken hindquarters (thigh and leg)
6 mini bello mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 Tbl finely chopped Italian parsley
1 Tbl butter
1 Tbl olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup white onion, sliced
1/2 yellow squash
1 serving of Pearl Couscous (divided for two)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
1. Wipe chicken pieces with a paper towel and then salt and pepper them. Heat butter and olive oil on medium high in frying pan. Add the chicken and brown on both sides (about 4 minutes per side). Remove from fry pan and place in small glass Pyrex dish.
2. Add small amount of olive oil to fry pan and add sliced mushrooms and shallot – toss until they start to brown – add sprinkle of salt and continue to sauté till cooked. Add two generous splashes of dry vermouth and continue to cook until the mushrooms have absorbed the vermouth. Set aside.
3. Using same fry pan, add 1 tsp olive oil and place the slices of zucchini, yellow squash, and onion to the pan and sauté until the vegetable have started to brown. Once done, add them to the same pan as the chicken and put in oven to cook for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.
4. Follow the directions on the package of the Couscous and cook on top of stove (takes about 15 minutes once the water has boiled).
5. Chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees.
6. Plate the hindquarters and top with the mushroom sauce – add a few sprigs of fresh parsley on top. Arrange two heaping spoonfuls of couscous and add the vegetables on the side.
Dinner is ready!