New Year’s Eve is almost here, oh yeah I already said that in the other Black and White Canape post. So here is the second B&W canapé that is quick, but elegant. Any time you use caviar the canape/appetizer becomes elegant, right?
You start with a basic crostini, add some caviar, a little creme fraiche and you are on your way to an elegant canapé in a relatively short period of time. I know, you are thinking, she said the same thing in the other B&W post. I know, I know, but time is running out on 2012 so I don’t have a lot of time to be clever. Here we go….
Ingredients: 1 french bread baguette 1 small jar of black caviar (I don’t buy the expensive one – this cost $8) 1 tub creme fraiche (6 oz) or substitute with sour cream 2 garlic cloves Olive Oil Zest of one lemon ~~ Carefully spoon caviar onto crostini and add dollop of creme fraiche Method: Heat oven to 425 degrees
- Cut baguette in half and cut slices straight up (don’t cut on bias). You will use the other half of baguette in previous canape, BLACK OLIVE TAPENADE CANAPE.
- Place slices on baking sheet, drizzle olive oil and set under broiler.
- Once they are lightly browned turn them over and add mashed garlic onto slices (do this lightly as you don’t want to overpower the caviar). Put under broiler till lightly browned. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Using a teaspoon, carefully scoop caviar on top of the crostini.
- Place 1/4 tsp or so of creme fraiche on top of the caviar and arrange some lemon zest on top. If you can’t find creme fraiche in your grocery store, Google how to make it (whipping cream and buttermilk).
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Yield: 18 crostini